Monday, July 20, 2009

St.Louis

...without the pics yet.

So last weekend (11-12) Jake and I flew to St.Louis, Missouri to visit the fam for the weekend. It was a great trip.

I'll try to think of some fun stories.

The flights went over well. I decided to sleep during take-off, just in case my stomach decided it wasn't up for the motion.

umm...when we got into ST.L they said it was like 77 degrees or something. I was excited for it to be really nice outside. Well as we walked out of the airport, there were a few soldiers just outside of the ramp smoking cigarettes. I was a little over the top and held a jacket up over my nose. I didn't want to smell it. They were all really sweet. They took note of my behavior and all very casually tried to hide their cigarettes, head bowed and they all said...sorry ma'am...

That was nice of them.

We got out of the building and I almost died. There's NO WAY it was 77......maybe with like 150% humidity....i know that's a bit of an exaggeration, but it was awful. Keep in mind I used to live in the state, but I'm no not familiar with their summers anymore. It was sooo hot. Couldn't wait to get into the a.c.

I got acclimated pretty quick though.

Once we got to my aunts house, we say the nieces and some aunts and grandma. It was really nice to be back there. Everyone was excited about the baby, and really nice to jake of course. I got bit by 2 mosquitoes almost immediately. Welcome home, cassie!

Let me just say that the St.Louis zoo rocks any zoo I've ever been to!!! and people should fly to STL just to see the zoo. It's free and it's huge. All you have to pay is for parking. so worth it.

The reunion-type with my family was wonderful. We had all 5 aunts. (my mom included.) my gma, and my brothers...(2 of them and their families.) and 4 cousins..with some extra family members with them too!....it was a blast. we just ate and talked, looked at old pics. the kids were playing wii and chess and running around. There was a strong storm that blew through...my aunts who's house we were at kept wondering if we needed to go to the basement or not...I couldn't think why she would ask that....then it was brought to my attention that a tornado could appear....I forgot where we were...hahaha.

So....we had a flight back to Salt Lake through Chicago. Fun story about the airport and the plane. Jake and I like to play cards on the plane..or anytime really. We play Pitch and Cribbage...anyway

So I carry around my cards from some of my trips. Ireland and Grand Canyon are in my bag currently. So we were playing with the Ireland cards. We get off the plane in Chicago to stretch our legs....and go to Cinnebun...

(we were in the STL airport, and hadn't had time to grab a bite and I was hungry of course...so we went to the BK there, but you had to pay at the cinnebun, and it smelled soooo tempting, but we passed up the chance..in STL, so when we got off the flight in chicago, we still had the frosting on the brain, so we gave in and found one..jake was right there with me on that one!!!)

so we get our Cinnebun and then it hits me. I had put my cards in the back pocket of the chair in front of me on the flight. Good news is that we were on the same plane with same seats and everything...but you never know when they clean what they do with things they find...so I eagerly get to my chair and...

NO CARDS...i'm freaking a bit cause they are from IRELAND...can't just jump a flight across the
Atlantic to replace them..and yes they are that important to me..

so I scurry to the back of the plane and ask one of the flight attendents if they know about them. and they say YES. She digs through a bit of stuff in a little cubby and assures me that they weren't going to keep them..hehehe...

I was a proud peacock, and as high as my emotions have been, I almost cried.

It was a great trip. Short and sweet, but nothing to complain about, quite opposite happy memories...not enough pics of my nieces like I like, but enough....enough for only being there for 29 hours I think it was...

as always thanks for reading, and I'm going to try to get pics uploaded tonight.

enjoy.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

good stories cas! glad you got your cards back. when that baby comes you better get better at putting pics on this here blog! ;)

Snivellusly Ozalan said...

Ah, I love family reunions. And I'm glad you got your cards back. I guess it would be like me losing a spoon...'gasp'...definitely want to see pictures. I was just talking today about your definition of a lot of pictures as opposed to everyone else's. ;-)=

Kat said...

Cassie you are so freaking cute! I miss you a ton! Sorry we haven't gotten together, surprisingly I got really busy! But I would love for you and Jake to come over and teach us some of those card games you were talking about! We like playing cards too. :) You're a doll and I'm glad you had a great time!