Saturday, April 2, 2011

Reno: 16 weeks for baby U2

Our friends Erin and Corey moved last summer to Seattle, then just a few weeks ago moved to Reno.  We had planned to go visit them over Spring Break wherever they were.  So Reno... it was.

We took a trip to Tahoe a few years ago with my parents.  (you might remember the post.)  Reno is just shy of reaching Tahoe. 

This was our longest car ride with Emmaus so far.  Total hours: 10.  He did amazingly well.  He learned how to nod his head up and down while we were driving.  That was really exciting for us.  On the trip he also started signing bread really clearly.  And he learned how to say and sign cat.  (Thanks to Larry.)  Emmaus watched Finding Nemo on the drive and was captivated by it.  He signs fish now too.  I'm hoping to take him to the aquarium this summer. 

I'm trying to remember details from the trip.  Mapquest said it would take us 7.5 hours.  We really wanted to take our time.  It was such a relief not having to rush every stop like I am used to doing. 

We stopped out to visit our friends Brook, Zac, Eli, and Justus on our way out.  Such a cute family, such great friends.  What a handsome baby.

Emmaus was asleep in the car while we were visiting but woke up towards the end, so he stayed awake and we pulled over again at the Salt Flats for a potty stop.  And photo shoot.  He loves being outside now that he has his walking/running legs.  He's so cute to watch the joy spread over his face thinking he can outrun us.






From there, I can't remember exactly when we stopped, until we were in Winnemucca, NV.  Nothing really eventful on the drive.  I think it's  a beautiful drive though.  There are mountains the whole way.  There was still snow on the ground too in some places.  So if you ever think that you don't want to drive I-80 west cause it's boring, I'd say think again.   

Emmaus finally fell asleep after we ate at Jack-in-the-Box.  (I do love their tacos.)  It sort of sucked though, cause my tacos are laced with grease and fat, and Jake goes and orders a nice salad with grilled chicken.  and Emmaus got a mini pita pocket thing.  I felt very unhealthy compared to them...at least I ordered a side salad too....smirk.

Emmaus slept, Jake drove, I rode till we got to Reno!!

None of us really had an agenda while we were there, other than being together and playing games.  Check, Check.

Corey was working so Erin and Jake and Emmaus and me went out "on the town" together.  We never actually went into Reno, didn't step into a casino either.  We toured Virginia St.  (sort of a joke, cause that's the thorougfair that we drove up and down everyday.)

We went to an antique mall (not a good idea with Emmaus, but it was still cute to see, minus the snow storm that started while we were browsing.),  We went to  Toy'sRUs (Emmaus' first visit there...no toys, but I did buy him these cute jeans, on sale.  He had wet through his other ones...darn it, having to buy him new clothes-wink.)


Really I should skip to the highlights I guess:

Fatboys hamburgers (what a great flavor)
Jake had Pizza balls....he liked them.
Buffalo Wild WIngs.  -that is some great sauce, specially the garlic one.  AND you can play trivia while you are eating.  That was perfect for us, games, good food, and they even had a special menu for erin that showed No Dairy Items.  She was super happy about that.

We went to Aeropostale and found a jeans sale for $7.99 each!  I got 2 pair.  Won't beable to wear them for long, but I couldn't pass up such a good deal.  The coolest store Erin and I stumbled into was called Charming Charlie.  From the outside and signs you can't tell what they sell, so we wanted to check it out.  When we first walked in it everything was PINK.  but then as you enter the store more, they have all sorts of accessories, purses, scarves, wallets, earrings, hats....it was really schnazzy.  I bought a new wallet, case for my sunglasses and a sexy dress.  I'll have to take a pic for you sometime....it's daring, but I really like it.

We played Harry Potter clue (SOO much fun!)  Dominion, but of course, and Settlers. They introduced us to 2 games too, one was called Dixit..fun game, like Apples to Apples but with Pictures....and Scattegories, but their version has categories.  I thought this was much more fun than the original version.





I love hanging with the Stissers, not only do we like the same things, but we always have great convo's too.   Like introducing Erin to Autotuning...I think that's what it's called...

We were going to drive out to Tahoe again, but with the wind and weather/snow wasn't allowing for an enjoyable time, so we'll just have to go back later this summer.  You won't hear me complain about that!

Emmaus saw for the first time Robin Hood (disney) and Meet the Robinsons...such great movies.  I really feel like he was getting an education more than just being set in front of the tv...if you know what I mean. His favorite thing about the trip though was Gavin and Larry.



There is a lake on the property where they are living, so we went out there to stretch our legs and give gavin a walk.  It's really pretty.  Windy, but really pretty.





I almost forgot, we went to a really nice Thai restaraunt.  I wasn't sure what to get cause Jake and I don't eat Thai much, but I think we all enjoyed our meals.  I loved the environment.  Especially the chairs.  I should've taken a photo, but didn't...bad me.

We got there Wednesday night and left Mid morning on Sunday. 

Took our time driving home, Stopped at a Mexican restaraunt for dinner and made it home in 10 hours again.



Look at this face, we will definitely be taking another road trip...he loved it!
Enjoy the journey, and as always, thanks for reading!

(As per Baby U2...we have our 2nd Prenatal appointment this coming tuesday to hear the heartbeat again, then 3 weeks later we'll find out the gender!  I'm almost done with the antibiotics the midwives suggested, other than my little baby bump that you can see if you look hard enough, I wouldn't even know that I was pregnant (Thank you Lord.)...cept for all the potty stops that is.)  More news to follow.

2 comments:

The Gantor Files said...

Thanks for sharing!!

Unknown said...

i love that pic of E in the car at the end. he reminds me of jake in that one, for some reason.