note to self: if you hear a strange noise and you aren't sure what it is, investigate, don't ignore it.
About a month ago I think i heard something that sounded like a drip while I was watching a movie in the basement, but I wasn't sure. Jake wasn't home at the time, and I forgot to mention it to him.
A few weeks later, I had noticed a smell down there, but I thought it was just stale basement smell.
A couple of nights ago Jake was down in the basement and noticed that the faucet was dripping and wasn't stopping.
He called his dad
He called my dad
When I got home from work dad had come over, knocked a few holes in the wall and went to buy some parts to fix the leak.
The back spare bedroom of our house....completely soaked. (We're not sure how long the leak was going, but that was really gross...I can't believe we didn't notice it.)
We called our contractor friend donavon to come over...he asked if we'd called the insurance yet...Neither of us had even considered the insurance...silly us.
We filed a claim, and talked to someone the next day about getting some fans brought over and the carpet pad taken out....Initially they were saying no one would come out till tuesday or later, but I wasn't comfortable with the moldy smell since we have Emmaus in the house. Fortunately they were willing to work with us.
There is some mold on the kitchenette...so they partitioned that off with plastic until the adjuster can come..sometime next week.
I started noticing things with Emmaus that I'm hoping aren't related to the mold....he's doing this funny breathing in noise...I really think that it's just him playing with his vocals...It's just that since the mold has probably been there for awhile, and we don't spend a ton of time down stairs, but maybe an hour a day...give or take.....sigh,
let's just say it'll be a relief to get the adjuster in and get everything fixed and taken care of.
we were planning on a trip to San Diego in a couple of weeks...for our anniversary/to get away...
oh well, fixing the house will be better in the long run....
I'm not as stressed about this as I could be.
When I first heard about it, all I could think of was getting the kitchenette remodeled....
If we get a check for the repairs...should we remodel the kitchenette downstairs? or just take it out and make the family room bigger? or what are your suggestions?
as always, thanks for reading.
2 comments:
remodel the kitchenette! i would LOVE to have a spare kitchen in my house. Especially if you guys have more kids... and they grow into teenagers... yeah.
I agree, keep the kitchenette. I think it is a nice feature. And now I have the answer to my question of why no San Diego.
Post a Comment