Wednesday, September 8, 2010

NIC Performance test: Sept 7th

I took my national certification performance test for interpreting. 

If I pass this, I can work in any state, and they recognize me as a professional interpreter.  (Plus I get some extra compensation through my work(s))

What does this mean for me?  Why did I take it?

I want to see if I'm "good enough" to pass the test.  I've heard from a lot of people that this is a valid test.  I want to see what "they" think about my skills.  Not so say if I don't pass that I suck, but I want to see what they say.

It also means that I'm confident enough to take the test.  Some people have no desire to take the national test.  It's always been a goal of mine.  I want to see if I have what it takes.  I passed the written NIC so this was the logical next step.

I'm grateful for my friends and family that have been so encouraging to me through this whole process.  I'd never thought that I'd be a sign language interperter when I grew up.  I love it.  I love the language, I love the process. I love the work.

Now I wait.

Up to 12 weeks for my results. 

We'll see what "they" say....

Until then...

3 comments:

Kat said...

WAHOO! The waiting stinks. Not much you can do about it now, but I bet you were great!!

Unknown said...

Who cares what "they" say, cuz I already say you're awesome!

Brandi M said...

I agree with Em. You're an awesome interpreter no matter what the "test" says. Hope you passed! Keep us informed :) I take mine next month (still have to sign up for it tho)