Jake and I have this discussion about driving etiquette often.
Here's the scenario: You are driving on the freeway. You are in the right lane cause you will be exiting at the next exit. There is an on ramp merging just ahead. You see a car approaching from the on ramp. It looks like you are going about the same speed and when the merge is complete will be at the same spot.
Do you A: get into the lefter lane and allow the oncoming car to merge effortlessly, then resume your drive, getting into the right lane again once the other car has gotten over, OR
B: stay at your same speed in the right lane and expect the merging car to adjust their speed accordingly to successfully merge?
I always get over and resume my drive, Jake however feels its the merging cars responsibility. We have agreed to disagree. But I keep bringing the issue up.
I wanted to know what other people think, and or prefer. One of Jake's complaints, if I can say it right, is that when someone like me gets over for the merger...if he was the person merging, he is gauging his speed to get on the freeway to avoid the car in the right lane, however when people like me move over, sometimes they wind up driving in his blind spot, and that it's actually causing more harm than good.
And my thought is that an onramp is there for the oncoming car to get up to freeway speed, so if I'm up to speed on the on ramp and there's a car in my oncoming lane, why don't they just move over so I can get onto the freeway and then I can get myself to a middle lane and they can have their spot back, it seems more like a naturaly dance flow, than having to slow down or speed up because someone is blocking my entrance...
Your thoughts?
2 comments:
Sorry, but I gotta side with Jake on this one. Although when it appears that the oncoming car and I are going to be at the same spot, I do try to speed up in my lane (or slow down) so there is room for them to get in the lane.
Funny that you have these disagreements. Shane and I disagree over the proper pronunciation of words like "used".
Tho I agree with Jake in theory- it is the merging car's responsibility to gauge their speed to merge- I usually do the same as you Cas because you are already up to freeway speed and a lot of people don't know how to merge effectively. I do often find myself in their blind spot when I do that though lol...
Post a Comment