Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Easter...nothing traditional about it!

Hey there. I wish I had taken a few pics this weekend, but I didn't. I'll try to make a better effort to do so next weekend.

Anyhoo.

So Sunday, the big day.

Jake and I picked up our friend Corey to go to church. (His wife is learning some crazy Yoga/Kalari something or other...and couldn't make it to the service.)

We attended the morning service, then the boys played chess during the second service...I helped out in e-kids...(our kids church.) I thought how they ran things was so much fun. Each kid got a colored name tag....that corresponded with 6 colored pails filled with 6 different colored plastic eggs. Each colored group had an adult leader, and an other youth to be the helper, and then the kids were dispersed from there.

(The groups were a little small, so we combined each group with another color. I was in the Pink and Purple group...I like to match my clothes with things I do, so I had on 2 pink accesories, so I chose the pink group.)

Each egg had something inside related to what Jesus went through with the cross and on to the Resurrection. I thought it was really creative...and practical....One was a candy rope..to show he was bound, and the last one was a candle, to show he was the light, and one was a life saver...for obvious reasons, and one was a nail....we wrote down something we wanted to give over to God/Jesus, and then we nailed it to the cross...the kids did the nailing themselves...(with a little bit of help.)

I wasn't sure if i'd like helping in the back...meaning kids church, but i felt like i had something to give to these kids...and there's a huge need for helpers, so as much as I didn't want to wake up early for the AM service...(it starts at 930am..so it's NOT that early!) I really like helping..so i think i'll stick with it for awhile, till /or if i feel burnt out.

POINT BEING: the rest of the day.

Jake and I took corey home and then headed home to make monkey bread, and eggs benedict...then erin and corey came over..(they needed to skype their neices and take care of their animals....) we ate!!!(it was alll soo yummy I LOVE EGGS BENEDICT...by far my fav breakfast!) then we played...


KILLER BUNNIES AND THE QUEST FOR THE MAGIC CARROT...

it was erin's idea earlier in the week...and i thought it quite appropriate.....it was a good game..i thought well played....( well i had a bunny triplet the whole time and the heavenly halo...so i was hard to beat!) BUT Corey actually won....it was good times..

then we switched gears and watched Slumdog MIllionare...not really in the theme for Easter per se, but it was something we all had wanted to watch..and we really liked it...
my only question:

why were the captions so small...and i'm not talking about the menu , subtitles option, i'm talking about when the kids were talking in hindi, there was a translation, but it was so small, we all had to move our chairs closer into the tv to read it....

Then the boys gravitated into the kitchen for more chess and erin and i just sat chatting for a long time.

It was a wonderful easter...we didn't see family, or really talk to anyone....it was different...and for this easter...different was good.

I don't think that will be something that happens every easter...but being that E and C were new in town and were without family, i'm glad we were able to spend that time together.

That's that!

Until later, and as ALWAYS....

thanks for reading.

8 comments:

CassieU said...

BTW>>>> this was my 51st blog!!! awesome!

Unknown said...

I LOVE killer bunnies, it's so cool to hear of others who play it! We used to play it all the time, until I lost my copy moving...Happy late Resurrection day! :D Glad you shared Easter with SOMEONE

Unknown said...

uh... I think it's a little sadistic to play killer bunnies on Easter...

Zac and Brook Halford said...

WOW, you had an eventful day! Those are best ones!

Unknown said...

Charity did, Jordan doesn't use this thing :D

Snivellusly Ozalan said...

Killer Bunnies brings back memories...and I think it´s a very fitting game to play on Easter. :-)=

The Queen said...

Glad your Easter was so nice! And that you enjoyed working with the kids so much...I think it's great you recognized how much you have to offer them!!

They don't really refer to Easter here in Nicaragua as a day...it's more like the entire week. And my head does tend to hurt when I've been trying to understand Spanish all day. I try to associate the words in Spanish with actions and pictures in my head rather than the corresponding word in English. That helps the translation speed up a bit for me.

Susanna Johnson said...

51!!!

my easter was totally different, as well. i spent the end at the mcneils with them and david.

so i left an answer for you on my blog. you'll have to go read it again. :)