Thursday, June 24, 2010

Page, AZ



I've been wanting to see antelope canyon ever since I saw a picture of it...over 10 years ago.  I wasn't always sure where it was, and then Susanna went to Page with a friend of hers, and voila, the desire to see this beautiful canyon was reborn. On the way there we stopped in Beaver, and I had to take a pic in this chair . It was windy and cold, but, I got it!



We left relatively early, and decided to drive my car (not a lot of leg room.) Jake sat in the back with Emmaus, and took advantage of this diaper change stop to try to catch a snooze.  My mom took this pic while I was nursing.
When we got to Page we had dinner at a local mexican restaurant, and then headed to this "art walk" that andrea found for us. It was really cloudy/possibly showers, so a lot of the artists chose not to bring out their work. It was still a fun time though. Jake had Emmaus in his coat just in case the water started to come down.

Thanks to my friend, Corey, I inherited a telephoto lens...so here are some pics from that. I'm standing pretty far away at this point..I find it's easier to get some natural faces. Emmaus is so photogenic...I love his different expressions.

Mid yawn...thought it was cute. His mouth doesn't get too big....makes me laugh.

Yea for blowing bubbles... Emmaus is staring at our friends baby..I have some cute pics of them together, but didn't get permission to load pics of their kids.
The big day. We were driven out to the canyon in a suburban...I think cause of the kids needing to be in car seats. It was an interesting drive. To get out to Antelope Canyon, you have to be escorted by a tour guide..the canyon is on a Reservation...the road once you get out there...is all sand...we were gliding...sort of fun. Here's the entrance.


You can see why I wanted to get down here. I wanted to do the longer tour for photographers, but they were sold out...I think we still got some nice shots.
do you see the eagle?

It's  nice traveling with other people, that way you can get a family pic...and take theirs too! Love it.
Sunset

Wolf
Had to use the flash to avoid pure blurriness...but here's our group..our friends older son is being blocked...if I would have known, I would have moved. Sorry friend.
I wanted to drive in this cool open truck, but I'm still having a lot of motion sickness problems, it's probably a good thing I wasn't riding in this.
Next stop for the day (after a PBandJ lunch) was Horseshoe Bend. Only when we got there, it started pouring. Instead of hiking in that misery...Our friend suggested waiting it out in the car. Emmaus was a trooper....he's sooo cute.

and then the rain stopped.

3/4 of a mile.

The walk out there...the rain actually helped pack down the sand so it was a nice trek out there.

and this is horshoe bend. not sure if you can see how far down it is. It was very intimidating looking down over the edge. I wasn't very brave.
and then the sun came out



awww...isn't he precious.


I love how this shows how little Emmaus is compared to his daddy.

mom and dad brought some steaks, so we had a cook out in the park. (keep in mind this is all happening in one day.  we got a lot done...and the weather changed quite a bit too!)
I'm rarely in the mood for ice cream, but there was a local ice cream place across the street from our hotel...I got something incredibly chocolatey and jake got something with peanut butter. Emmaus was jealous.
When wewere packing for this trip, I thought to myself, pack light, it's Page Az in June, I don't need pants. (i've never not had pants with me on a trip.) POINT being: it was chilly the whole time. I found these awesome black adidas pants at the thrift store...it just so happened that I had brought my adidas jacket to.  This is Lake Powell in the background.

Welcome back to Utah. I love these signs that show you are entering a state...I like getting pics of them...as you can see.

As we were driving to and from Page, we saw these Sheriff's cars on the side of the road. (I can't remember the name of the town we were driving through.) Poing Being: They put dummies in the car! no kidding. we saw them both times. I was going to take a pic up close, but there were so many rv's and campers driving back to Utah on Sunday I didn't want to get behind the ones we had already passed.  So here you have it. Don't speed through small towns on road trips, their dummy cops might get ya!
as always, thanks for reading.

2 comments:

The Gantor Files said...

You're right, I do wanna go lol! Great pics & love all the commentary.

Kat said...

wow it looks like you had such a fun time! I wish I could go! I wanna ask you some details about it later. I would love to go, and those pictures are amazing1