As many of you know, I've worked for Sears Portrait Studio for 10 years. I have recently decided to cut ties with their actual company CPI corps. For the most part CPI has taken good care of me, especially the vacation hours I've accumulated over the years. However, because of my newer job as an ASL interpreter I have decided that my time can best be spent doing that at the educational level and the Video Relay Service that I'm also involved in.
Taking photos of families, babies, grads and anything else you can think of has brought me great joy for the last decade; with joy also comes pain. The industry of photos is so sales driven that it's become too much. I was born to do sales. I really am amazing at it...although I never worked for commission. I believe in passion and when I'm passionate about something, it tends to be contagious, hence... people will buy. But the corporate world was never satisfied. I can't tell you the amount of times prices went up on the same product...no quality change, just the price...simply because they could.
The new company I work for has so many perks, I feel well taken care of. Sears on the other hand (and I mean CPI...we really aren't involved with sears at all except for the location.) has very little appreciation they show....except for the once a year fiscal number crunching whether or not we beat our sales and sittings from the previous year. The cycle works out so that you want to just BARELY beat your sales from the previous year so that you can guarantee your position the next year. IT's Ridiculous...not to mention the stress the bigger bosses put on their managers to make it happen. Soliciting patrons in the store.....come in for a free 8x10...and then do whatever you can to get them to buy more. It's uncomfortable and exhausting. and i'm fed up with it.
I could go on and on....but I will ju st say that I'veenjoyed most of the time that I worked there...obviously....because I believe if you don't like your job, than you shouldn't do it....so that is why I have finally decided to really stop it this time. I'm unhappy there....THE PEOPLE I WORKED with are fabulous. That is really the reason I stayed on for so long. It just finally became too much, and God has given me abilities and opportunities to take care of finances elsewhere.
I told a few of my customers whom I've worked with since there babies were born that if they were to ever see my face in the obituaries that I'd like everyone to bring photos that i've taken and make a mosaic to me...sort of like Mr. Holland's Opus...you know, the smiles and tears that I've captured over the years....It's been amazing to be intimately involved with so many people by taking photos of their babies and Great grand parents...etc...but...just because the CPI/Sears chapter of my life is closed doesn't mean anyone could EVER pry my camera from my ..........hands (I was almost going to quote Charelton Heston...but it sounded too morbid.).
...THAT will never happen.
as always.
thanks for reading.
3 comments:
Well, I am glad that you are somewhere that you are happier! I totally agree, photo places are so sales oriented that it is uncomfortable for the customer too....maybe if people stop impulse buying the situation will take care of itself! I wish you the best with the ASL interpretation.
I do miss the good ol' days...when the company wasn't like it is today...
hey, i was just reading this post again. yep, this pretty much sums up my feelings towards CPI as well - especially the parts about sales, the upper management putting pressure on the studio's to sell more... i'm actually impressed you stayed so long, but i guess if you're good at sales, then it makes it more bearable. i'm horrible at, and i could care less how much money people spend, as long as they're getting something they like, at a price they can afford. i put in my notice already, after less than 2 months. oh well. i'm glad i had the experience anyway, now i know a little more about myself.
Post a Comment